Thursday, August 28, 2014

A Year and a Half Later

I can not believe that it has been a year and a half since I last posted here. A part of me wanted to, but it was too much for me at the time. I didn't want to blog about one big event and make it define us. We are more than just a family that is defined by events.

Ok, while that holds true, certain events did help shape us some.

The last time I posted, I announced our decision to homeschool. Shortly after, I pulled my son out of our public school system. Things went well and my daughter was ready to be pulled weeks after that.
A week later, the evening of April 14th, our lives were put on hold. The timing of my decision to homeschool became evident. My 11 year old son had a stroke.

One week in the ICU (with the accompaniment of many tears, prayers, loving friends and much strength) brought a community and a family closer than ever. During Andrew's recovery, we were supported and loved on more than we could ever imagine. As much support as we did have, it was as if there was a bubble around our family of four that became smaller....the bubble embraced us and made us even closer as a family.

Fast forward a year and a half later and the reason for this post.

I woke up tonight with Jordan's arm around me. A little 10 year old, freckle faced girl was rubbing my back in her sleep. Next to her was our 70-something pound boxer and 12 year old Andrew. We have had a crazy week of daddy traveling and "not back to school" activities. We were all sun tired and decided to pile into my bed for one last sleep before my husband comes home. I sat there watching them sleep and something washed over me. An overwhelming sense of happiness.

Believe me when I say that we have not so awesome days, but the good far outweigh the negative. Sure there are disagreements, not so grand situations and copperhead snake bites (yes...it happened to me, I am fine now). Then there are those amazing times together that make this icky times minor. Times that make me smile, even giggle at times.

Last night was one of those nights. We laughed until we cried over something so wrong. Somehow we got on the subject of poop. Yes, poop. The kids were talking about how they can't see how celebrities poop. The conversation went downhill for a while as they died laughing at the thought of Taylor Swift's poop face. Then the conversation turned into more meaningful stuff. A beautiful and really cool conversation just flowed between the 3 of us. Relationships, friendships, the sibling bond, family, school and even what they wanted in a future mate. It pretty much rocked.

We have been homeschooling for a year and 5 months now, and it is going so well. We have made some amazing friends and are keeping in touch with other friends. They are excited to learn together and have gained a sense of confidence that I prayed for. They are thriving. They have friends of all kinds and love them all. Andrew and Jordan even mentioned that homeschooled kids are so nice (although they have such sweet friendships with amazing and kind kids who are not homeschooled, we are so fortunate).

That is all I wanted for them, what I asked God for. I hope to see them grow into loving adults who have confidence and a passion to learn and grow. Simple as that.

More updates to come.

XOXO

No comments: