I miss you today.
Mom, I know your time was up. And I know I have written about this. But I will write again.
You had a rough end of your life. I understand that. But you made such an impact when your health was good. I am told by many that you went out of your way to make others feel special. Your nieces and nephews adored you. They miss you. So do I. So does your son, husband, sisters and brothers.
Mom, I have been told that my mom must have been a special woman to raise a girl like me. Little do they know that I am peanuts compared to who you were. You gave me opportunities that a girl could only dream of. You gave me life lessons that I never got until I was a woman.
The past 3 years have flown by mom, and each year I think to pick up the phone to call you at least 100 times. But I can't. When you left THIS earth, I was a new mom. I had a 3.5 year old son and a 15 month old girl. I hadn't even began to ask you much parenting advice. As each year passes, I pray that I can be the woman you raised me to be. The funny thing is, that like you, I have turned to writing to express myself. A typewriter clicked and clacked at midnight as you wrote of your life, and tonight a keyboard taps away writing of my life with you. Ironic, huh?
Tonight I want to remember the past year and the influence you still have on me:
- You were right, it is never to young to give children the love of great literature.
- I am rethinking never bestowing upon my children the word of the week during summer break...I get it now mom. Haha
- Around age 4, I remember you telling me that mommy and daddy needed "grown up time". Snicker. That, I also get and I even use the same phrase.
- You never made me feel silly when I stood up in church and made up songs. So now, I will never make my daughter feel silly for the random songs or dances.
- Faerie hunts ARE magical
- Snipe hunts don't seem so mean after all!
- Boys and bikes and ramps all go hand in hand
- Manners....you have to have them
- Santa doesn't have that much room on his sleigh
- I finally understand why you used to say: 1) Do you need a tissue for your nose? 2) staring is rude 3) You're going to catch a death of a cold 4) If you don't wear socks your feet will stink 4)Say excuse me 5) It's not nice to laugh when mommy passes gas 6) You don't like that long purple coat? I think it is cute! 6) Ear muffs are adorable on you! 7) You are too young to like boys 8) We don't sword fight in the produce section 9) Put that toilet seat down! 10) I LOVE YOU MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW!
I love you mom, to the moon and back. This time YOU are MY shining star.