Monday, June 15, 2009

Best Friends-20 Years Later



I have more than one best friend. I am so blessed to have a handful of people I know I can rely on, cry with, laugh with, share secrets with. This weekend I got to enjoy my best friends of twenty years. TWENTY ***gasp***YEARS! We met when I changed high schools in 11th grade. I was 16.
These girls are my sisters. They know me, I know them. Deena and Dana are twins that have welcomed me in as the other sister.
Our friendship has seen so much. Together we have supported each other in so many ways. We have been there holding the other through tears and heartache. We have been there to support and sometimes steer in a better direction. We have hurt each other's feelings and overcome insecurities together. We have seen each other at our best and at our worst (inside and out). We were their to celebrate love and birth. We have cried through loss. We have laughed to keep from crying. We have cried from laughing so hard.
I taught them how to drive a stick shift. We have been mugged together. We have ordered drinks when we were too young to drink. We have danced in parking lots, sat on top of water towers, and taken road trips together. We have witnessed so.very.much. And we still love the other.
Twenty years later we have witnessed our children developing a friendship. Between the three of us we have 4 girls and 2 boys. From ages 3 to 8. To me, it is so cool to see these children become friends. Seeing our girls hold hands, the boys do their boys stuff, and our families just hanging.
I will write more about the actual trip later. But today I wanted to get my love out there for my two beautiful friends.
Here is to girl talk, Elvis, laugh lines, mom swimsuits, expensive wine, annoying geese, Murphy's Law, black and blue lemonade, s'mores, guacamole, peach ice cream, arrows on our feet, Taylor Swift over and over and over, and us.
Cheers

6 comments:

Jackie said...

awee! it sounds like you guys had a great time!! Can't wait to see more pics!

Unknown said...

yay!!!!

Shannan Riemer said...

How sweet! We really need to plan to get together if just for lunch the next time I come to D/FW. I would love to see you guys!

Dina said...

this made me smile and cry a little. congrats to the beautiful friendship. my BF and I have been with each other for 31 years! I understand your feelings :)

Elementary Counselor said...

That is so sweet. I cannot wait to hear more about your trip. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Kandi... we need to do this again :). Fun with Blake...