Saturday, December 17, 2011

Last Minute Holiday Craft

Most people that know me KNOW that I am not super crafty. I have tried sewing, didn't love it. Never attempted scrapping, was never interested (although I adore looking at other's). I don't make cute templates or canvas prints. Not crafty at all.

But I AM creative...AKA I rock at coming up with something creative at the very.last.possible second in a select few occasions. .

Last week I had that "oh crap" moment. I am room parent for my 9 year old son's class. That meant class party. Like planning a craft and such. I had a week.

 I came up with a theme: A Few of Our Favorite Things.

Basic plan was:

  • For each child to bring their favorite treat or snack (my son picked my homemade cornbread).
  • I will bring my fave holiday drink (ok, safe for kids)...Apple Cider (I totally winged this too, and although I expected the kids to dislike it, we had to ration it instead). 
  • Come up with a craft that has something to do with one of the child's fave memories.
And so this "craft" was created.

I love using the clear glass bulbs for gifts each year. In the past I filled them with a special photo. But this year I did these as gifts..... so I took this idea and ran with it, on a smaller scale.

What you need:
Mini Glass Ornaments (Hobby Lobby)
A Thin Strip of Paper
A Few Strips of Shiny Ribbon

Have your child write your fave memory (depending on recipient of gift, it can be a fave memory with that person...thanks to my friend Evea for that idea). My memory was celebrating Christmas for the first time as a mommy. Twirl the paper with something small, like a wooden skewer or toothpick, and place inside ornament. Fill with ribbon (you can twirl it around the skewer or just let it curl inside bulb as you place it in).

Simple as that.

Now you take this idea and run with it. :)

No comments: