Monday, October 22, 2012

Susan G Komen 3Day- 4th Time Walker and Why

I started walking the Susan G Komen 3Day in 2007. I had no idea what to expect. I knew I would walk 60 miles in a course of 3 days. I knew I had a minimum amount to raise in order to even be able to walk. I knew I would sleep in a little pink tent for 3 nights. I knew I walked for my mom's Aunt Desi who lost the battle to breast cancer and for my mother-in-law who kicked the crap out of the disease.

My 2007 Team! John had just walked a full 60 miles! I was so proud!

What I did not know was that I would form amazing friendships, that I would be moved to tears daily over someone's story, that I would fracture my foot and only finish 42 miles, that I would want to walk again over the next several years, and that each year would become more special and less about me and more about the cause.

This year will be my 4th time to walk....and up until 2 months ago, I was not going to due to a crazy busy schedule. Then I got a phone call from my gorgeous niece. See, she is now 16. In the past she has supported me and cheered me on, this time she is old enough to walk. She asked if we could walk together. Heck yeah we can! So I signed up, selected her as my tent mate...and panicked. TWO months to raise $2300. In between running a business, taking pictures (busy time of year!), editing, volunteering at school, sports, keeping up with my workouts and weight loss, a traveling husband, and other family obligations, how would I find time to fundraise?!?!

 GULP

So I started posting on Facebook (so much that I am sure some people have me blocked) asking for help. I had friends donate items for an auction, I began planning a couple of fundraisers, and I am now less than two weeks away and I still have about $1000 out of $2300 to raise. I got this, right?

Now, back to why I walk.... my kids and I were talking on the way home from a cold ball game about my walk. They love when I do the 3Day. They make signs, cheer me on, and beam with pride. They yell "SAVE THE BOOBIES!!!" and "Rock it walkers!!".  We talked about the "rockstars" of the walk...the survivors who raise money, walk and kicked cancer's butt. We talked about their MiMi and how happy that we still have her here with us. My son then said "Mom, let's make a video...let's let other's know why you walk and why we want to walk one day, maybe they will share their story too". So we did just that. We didn't get dolled up, we were tired and cold and I was very teary and red nosed. But it was real (and a little funny). I told him that I would share it with you even though I MUCH prefer to be behind the camera. :)
Thank you for your time...and enjoy this little video. Please feel free to share your story here if you would like.
And if you would like to donate, please go to www.the3day.org/goto/kandiloo

XOXO
Kandi





No comments: